Engine Installation: Sec. 43 November 2, 2015
The finishing kit drawings for the engine installation came and there were some changes made that created a few problems. The main issue was the clocking for the oil pressure fitting which is under the right upper motor mount. In the past and on most installation instructions the oil AN fitting is clocked down and toward the right wing. Vans changed this to up and toward the left side of the plane. It is a tighter space but evidently doable. We opted to buy a new hose with a 90 degree fitting rather than removing the engine to follow the plans. Also note, it is easier to install some of the engine fittings before you mount it on the plane, research this first. We didn't have the plans yet, hence our issues. Rafael had a problem with a few hookup because of working room, but managed to complete Sec. 43, pictures below.
We had Ed Booth ( an extraordinary experimental A&P ) come over to give us a hand and make sure we installed the engine correctly. We planned on 4-6 hours, but it only took about 2 hours. I couldn't believe how well the engine fit into Van's mount with very little persuasion required. When we did the RV 7 it was a whole different story. That installation required mounting the engine to the Dynafocal mount first and then the assembly was mounted to the firewall. The governor was a little bit stubborn to install. The issue was getting the teeth to mesh up with the spline and sliding it into the case properly. Here you do not want to use any brute force. We messed with it and turned the crank back and forth and just when we were getting ready to regroup, it slid right into place.