Stabilizer Build: Rafael is working on the rudder parts so I started on the Stabilizer
- This is the start of the stab build, match drilling the spars, there are 2 of them
- Instructions are good, but it is best to read the entire kit and the read the section you are building once again, then read and do each step in order
- This is our third build and we are deviating slightly by building the parts and building up using cleco's and then taking things apart, de-burring and priming all but the skins. The skins are Alclad and do not need priming on the interior in my mind unless you live on the beach and then it is still debateble
- After the above process we will go back and rivet things together per the instruction order.
- Hours to date 351
Here I'm starting to fit the stabilizer front tip. I started with a small trim and then used my very small Proxon belt sander and removed just enough material to get the elevator to pass through the top side. Then turn the stab over and do it again. Once the elevator clears I start working on the gap, but not until the front face of the elevator in filled with Dyna Delite body filler and sanded to the final shape. I use Super fill in a few place on my RV 7A and in shrank over time, not so with the Dyna Delite.
I use # 4 thin washers to back up the glass tips for the CS4-4 pops which want to pull through the fiberglass. I guess it would most likely be ok but the tips are not quite the same profile as the stabilizer and I wanted the them to pull up tight to the skin. This is also a carry over from the RV - 7, it worked for me.